Monday, December 27, 2004

Dishon Chapter 7

IN THE TENTH YEAR OF RECAB, KING OF DISHON
Miktesh stood on a platform, overlooking his many soldiers. "Tonight" he shouted "We have achieved victory. We have captured Agriola, the storehouse of Calet's surplus, food, and it's food taken by tax. We are now in control. Nothing can stop us." His army cheered him wildly as Miktesh stepped down from the platform and walked toward his tent.
As he entered his tent, he was met by his military advisors, Jole, Kile, and Kirtten. They all stood up when he came in. Miktesh waved his hand for them to be seated, before sitting himself. "How do things look?" he asked.
"Excellent. This year produced a bad crop, and without Agriola, Polad will not be able to adequately feed his army. He will undoubtably try and force us out of Agriola, but if we can hold our position, we've essentially won the war." Jole shuffled through papers as he answered.
"What about the populace? Will there be enough food for the common people?"
"Unfortunately not," answered Jole. "Food will be scarce. If Polad decides to tax the people to get food for his armies, and you can bet he will, we might be looking at a man made famine."
"A famine I would have caused," said Miktesh.
"This will work to your advantage," continued Jole. "The people will become angry with Polad for not supplying them with food, and will join you against him once they find out you have food."
"In other words, we will create a society in which people will do anything for food. No, I can't let that happen. We will give Polad as much food as he needs to keep his people alive, and not one bit more."
Jole's jaw dropped. "You can't be serious. Do you know what an opportunity you're giving up?"
Miktesh starred off into space, thinking for a time before he looked at Jole and said, "I do, but this is hardly my last alternative. I've got quit a lot of tricks up my sleeve." Miktesh smiled broadly as he talked.
"You must be completely mad. Your insane."
Kile and Kirtten cringed when they heard those words. Miktesh had a reputation for dealing harshly with those who questioned him. Miktesh simply leaned back in his chair, and began chewing on a piece of grass. "I value your opinion Jole, but I've learned a lot in the past few months. One of the things I've learned is that a leader has to be responsible. He has to look out for his people first. You can't just want power, you have to take the responsibility that comes with that power." Miktesh stared off into space, lost in thought.
"You-you've changed!" stammered Jole.
"Have I?" Miktesh was still absorbed in his mind. Then he quickly came back to earth. "Any luck yet on the location of Perez?"
"No sir. My men are searching everywhere, but we can't find him yet" Jole said.
Miktesh shook his head. "I'm afraid Polad got him. He's probably dead by now. Damn it, I could have helped him but I just ran from Polad's men. Damn it! When I get my hands on Polad I'll-I'll," Miktesh settled down a little bit. "I'll do the responsible thing, and let him keep his wretched life, which is more then he deserves." Miktesh looked at his advisors, all wide eyed. He could tell they were questioning his sanity. "Your free to go," he said. "I have no need of you anymore."
Kile and Kirtten quickly left, Jole stayed behind. "A word with you, My lord?" he asked, the respect of his words where said in a slightly sarcastic tone.
"You may speak."
"Sir, your newfound obsession with responsibility is admirable, but Polad is playing by his own set of rules. If you want to win this war, your going to have to do it by any means necessary. If you want to be truly responsible, think of your men. Don't lead them to their death so that you can protect the comfort of our enemies. The people need a strong leader."
"Trust me Jole, I have no intention of losing this war. I've got quit a few tricks still up my sleeve."


"Most excellent king, your mighty armies have defeated Calet. Calet is now in civil war."
"And one of the participantz in the civil war iz a man who haz been known to be on the zide of Marram?" asked Azom.
"Yes sir," answered his general. "He has helped Marram on numerous occasions. He was responsible for Marram's victory against Calet."
"Then make zure he winz thiz civil war."
"What do you mean sir? How?"
"You did not become one of my top generalz without being rezourceful. Do the job any way you want, juzt make zure it getz done."
Azom's general nodded in obedience.
"Now," continued Azom, "on to thiz buzinezz about Dizhon. "You told me that you only need one week to deztroy the nation. When you zaid that, how many of my zoldierz were you planning on uzing?"
"Pretty much all of them," answered his general.
"That waz foolizh. Uze only az many men az you need, I will give you two monthz to conquer Dizhon."
"Yes sir." Azom's general nodded and left.
"Oh Dizhon," contemplated Azom, "if Calet fell before Marram'z power, what chance do you have?"

No comments: