Sunday, December 26, 2004

The Four Chapter 2

IN THE THIRD YEAR OF THE NEW ERA
"Well you can count me out," Andrew responded, "I'll have nothing to do with this."
Romulus paid little attention to Andrew's comment. Andrew's mind was easily changed. Instead, he turned to Julius, "You'll help me, won't you?"
"You bet," Julius answered without thinking. This was typical of Julius, acting on impulses and diving into things without carefully considering what was involved. Remus would be harder to convince.
Romulus turned to Remus, his eyes expecting an answer. "I'm not sure," Remus said. "You realize the possible implications of our actions. If you manage to pull this thing off, it could be the destruction of the city."
"If I seriously thought this would destroy the city, I wouldn't give it a second thought. I don't think the Renegades are going to hold through on their threats. After all, didn't we learn how little their word means? The danger they would have to endure wouldn't justify coming back."
"Nevertheless, you admit there's a risk."
"A very slight one."
"But a risk of destroying the city none the less."
"Yes, a risk I'm more than willing to take if it will help the suffering."
"Romulus, our parents died protecting the city. I don't want to make their sacrifice in vain by destroying it."
"You know what our parents stood for, charity and helping others. The last thing they would want is for us not to go ahead with this because of them."
Having to admit Romulus was right, Remus tried a different argument. "You'll never get the city to agree with this. Remember the Icelers? They wouldn't even save the Icelers, because they wanted to keep our existence a secret."
"It's worth a try. Our existence is no longer a secret now, Calet knows about us, the Icelers know about us, Dishon knows about us."
Remus shook his head. "I just don't want any part in this right now. Let me see how things go, I might join you later."
"I need you," Romulus pleaded. "I need your help."
"You've got Julius, what do you need me for?"
Romulus decided to momentarily let Remus off, while he recruited Andrew. He turned to Andrew, and his eyes asked the question.
"I said I'm not doing it!" Andrew said irratantly.
"And why not?"
"The Renegades ordered us not to leave the city, and I don't want any trouble."
"You don't think it's worth the risk?"
"I don't."
Romulus nodded towards the monitor. "Look at that Andrew, look at his face. Look at his body. Nobody should go through that, much less someone his age. Now, are you going to tell me you don't want to help him because you don't want to take a risk?" Andrew kept his eyes on the floor. "Go ahead Andrew, look at it, and then tell me you're out." Andrew turned his head in the other direction. "Look at it!" Romulus shouted.
Slowly, Andrew turned his head toward the monitor. He looked up briefly at the boy, and then at Romulus. "I'm in," he said softly, feeling like a child who had just been rebuked by his parents.
Romulus smiled. "Good, let's waste no time in getting to work. Remus, feel free to go home if you don't want to stay for this."
"I'll stay." Remus smiled, "someone has to make sure you guys get things right."
Romulus returned the smile. "I knew I could count on you. I'll go call Lauto and cancel our date."
"She's not going to be in on this?" Julius made no attempt to disguise his delight.
"I think the world of her Julius, but the four of us have always been close, lets just keep control of the project in our hands for now.


President Van sat at his desk, in a small office traditionally used by the City presidents for their work, known, surprisingly enough, as the presidents office. The door chime sounded, and Van pressed a button to open the door, as he said, "come in."
Remus stepped in, and Van immediately rose to greet him. Stepping around his desk, he extended his hand, and the two shook. "Good to see you, Remus. What can I do for you today? Do you want to reserve a field for a focrosc game perhaps?"
Remus almost laughed out loud when he heard that. Nobody reserves fields, the fields were almost never all filled. He resisted the urge, wanting to look professional. "No sir, actually I'm here to ask for a city meeting tomorrow."
Van raised his eyebrows. "A city meeting? Well Remus, we usually don't hold meetings unless it's for an important reason. Why don't you go down and talk at the city square instead."
"Well sir, I think this is important. My friends and I want to start a project where we deliver food to the starving in Kalka."
Van smiled. "I don't think you've thought this through Remus. In order to do that, you would have to leave the city, and The Renegades clearly forbid that. Why don't you and your friends go rethink this some more."
"Deka, I'm twenty one years old. Twenty one years old Rom, you would think that guy would stop treating me like a twelve year old."
Romulus laughed. "Give the guy a break, he's seventy two. He just keeps forgetting we're not little kids anymore."
Remus looked in the mirror. "I don't look twelve do I? How could he forget I'm not twelve?"
"He's not sane," Julius said. "The man should never have been elected president, he's become senile with age."
"Oh I don't think it's that bad," Romulus responded. "Your exaggerating, he has several presidential qualities."
"Andrew, how old do I look to you? Do I look like I'm twelve?" Remus asked.
"Yeah? Name one of them," Julius replied.
Andrew nodded in response to Remus' question. "You look about twelve, maybe a little bit younger but I wouldn't worry too much about it, you'll grow up soon enough."
Romulus laughed at Andrew's comment, disregarding Julius' question. "The point is," he said, "we got our meeting, right?"
"Right," Remus answered, "I had to spend some time debating with the old goat, but we got the meeting."
"I suppose we better come up with a name for our project before then," Julius decided. "Any ideas?"
"How about, The Four Friends?" Andrew suggested.
"That's a terrible name Andrew," Romulus said. "It sounds like a coffee house, not a rescue mission."
"I suppose you have a better idea," Remus replied.
"I sure do. How does Romulus and Company sound."
Remus laughed at the idea. "You'd never catch me in any organization with that name."
Romulus shrugged. "The names not important really, I guess anything will do. What's important is what we do under that name." He indicated towards Remus. "Why don't you think up a name by tomorrow."
"No problem."
"We're also going to need a speech for the meeting," Julius reminded everyone. "If Remus is working on a name, who will work on the speech?"
"Why don't you work on that too, Remus," Romulus suggested. "You always were good at that sort of thing."
"Alright."
"I'm not giving you too much work, am I?"
Remus shook his head. "No, no, I'm glad to do whatever I can to help. I know how much this means to you."
"Thanks, I appreciate it. I owe you one."
Remus glanced up at the clock. "I better get home," he said. "This is going to take a lot of work if I want to get a good speech, and to convince the city, we'll need one."
Remus got up and left. Romulus turned to those remaining. "Are you guys up for a game of focrosc? I'm sure we could find enough other people to play."


Remus stared blankly at his computer screen. The speech was displayed on the monitor, and he knew it needed a lot more work. The speech needed to be rewritten. As it was, it seemed dull, and he doubted in would inspire or convince anyone. He also needed to come up with a conclusion, but the right ending continued to elude him.
Remus ran his hand through his hair. He hadn't gotten near enough sleep last night, distressed that he wouldn't finish the speech in time. Ever since he got up this morning, he had been in front of the computer. He decided it might be time to give himself a break, perhaps take a short walk.
Stepping outside, Remus squinted as the artificial sun light flooded into his eyes. He stood still as his eyes adjusted to the light, then proceeded down the road. He heard someone call his name, and looked to see who it was.
It was Katina, his next door neighbor, running out to meet him. "Hello Katina," he said in reply. "How are you doing?"
"Great. Hey, we missed you at the focrosc game yesterday."
"Focrosc game?"
"Yeah, didn't you hear about it? Your brother organized it. That guy is such a born leader."
"Tell me about it." Remus paused briefly. "He didn't invite me to the game."
"That's strange. He told us you couldn't come."
Remus nodded. "That is right I guess. I wouldn't have been able to come anyway."
"Really, why?"
"Prior commitment." Remus did not elaborate, not wanting word to get out about this project until the meeting, so the Watchers wouldn't already have their minds made up before they heard the speech. Katina didn't push him for details, seeing he didn't want to talk about it.
"Well, perhaps another time."
"Next time I'll be there."
"Well, I think there's going to be another game this afternoon."
Remus felt a twinge of disappointment. He could spare no time from the speech. "I can't make it this afternoon either."
"Oh, sorry to hear that." A brief, awkward silence followed before she threw up her hands. "Oh well, there will be other times."
Remus forced a smile, feeling somewhat left out. "Yeah, there will be."
"I've got to meet my sister for lunch. I'll talk to you later."
"See you later." Remus waved as Katina ran off. After she was gone, he took a deep breath, and headed inside. Time to get back to work.

No comments: