Sunday, December 26, 2004

The Four Chapter 11

IN THE THIRD YEAR OF THE NEW ERA
Romulus rushed into location number seven, to see everyone else already sitting down. "What's going on?" he asked. "Who called this emergency meeting?"
"We all did," Remus answered. "Andrew has changed his mind." The words had a triumphant flavor to them, with a little bit of 'I told you so' mixed in.
"Is this true?" Romulus asked Andrew.
Andrew mournfully nodded his head. "I'm afraid so."
His face full of hurt, Romulus turned to Andrew and said, softly, "I guess it is true what they said about you yesterday. I tried to defend you but they were right all along. You don't have a mind of your own. Your like a two year old, you listen to whoever speaks last." Romulus looked over to Julius and Remus. "I congratulate you gentlemen. You found his weakness, and you exploited it."
"We did no more than you," Remus answered.
"I'm sorry you feel that way," Romulus said. "I trust there was another purpose for this meeting."
"What do you mean?" Remus asked. "We've got a clear majority against Marram now. You won't be sending any ships there."
Romulus slowly sat down well he considered what was said. Then, he answered, "I still have final say. The ships are going to Marram."
"You're telling me that even with a three to one majority, you still get your way?" Remus spoke in a calm, collected tone, as did Romulus. All the yelling seemed to have been used up yesterday.
Romulus nodded.
"Then since our opinion doesn't matter for anything, why are we here? Why did you tell each one of us you needed us?" Romulus couldn't answer. "It was to do the work, wasn't it? You sure got a pretty good deal off of us. We did all the hard work, and you took all the credit, and now your left in charge."
"That's not true," Romulus countered. "We all did equal work."
"Oh please. Who wrote your speech for the meeting?"
"Who delivered the speech?"
"Who made the ship assignments for Kalka?"
"You didn't even go to Kalka the first time Remus, what are you complaining about?"
"You think I didn't want to go? Rom, I didn't go so that there would be enough room for you three." Remus shook his head, frustrated and convinced this kind of arguing was going nowhere. He went back to another point. "Three against one Rom, three against one and you still get your way. That's the stuff revolutions are made of. Listen to me, your going to have to bend a little on this or your going to get broken."
Romulus turned on Remus. "Was that a threat?" he asked, his voice quickly rising in volume.
"I'm trying to help!" Remus exploded. "I can't even talk to you, can I? You don't listen to me. I'm wasting my time!" Remus threw his hands up in the air. "You don't care one bit what I think. You're convinced you're right, and won't even listen."
"I am right."
"Who says? Who's to say your right, and I'm wrong? We both think we're right, the only fair thing to do is go by the majority."
"Let history be my judge as to whether I'm right or not."
"No judge is harsher," Remus answered. "I'm tired of yelling Rom, all I can say is that I'm mad as hell, and this isn't over yet."
"We're all best friends, look what this thing is doing to us," Andrew lamented. "It's not worth it."
"You're a fool Andrew," Julius responded. "It's worth the world."
"I don't care what it's worth, nothing is more valuable than friendship," Andrew answered. "Not even this kind of power."
"This isn't about power Andrew," Romulus said. "It's about what's right."
"It's about power," Remus countered. "A lot more than you think." Remus walked out.


"You asked to see me, Mr. President?"
"Yes, come in, come in Romulus. Have a seat please." Van poured a liquid from a pitcher into two cups, and handed one to Romulus. "Purple berry soda, your favorite right?"
"Yes, yes it is," Romulus answered, surprised that Van would take the time to find out.
"I'm glad. Always loved this stuff myself." Van took a swallow from his cup, and unsuccessfully tried to hide his distaste. "So hows the gang? Remus? Julius? Andrew? How is everyone?"
Romulus looked carefully at Van, wondering what the old man knew. "Why don't you get right to the point, Mr. President."
Van looked strangely at Romulus, then continued. "Well, Romulus, there's a rumor going around that you plan to expand the Kalka project to Marram."
Romulus nodded. "So the rumor goes, yes."
Van hesitated briefly, unsure how to respond to that purposely vague statement. "Well if that's true," he said at last, "we need to talk about it."
"How so?"
"I don't believe the Kalka project has the authority to enter other countries besides Kalka."
"I beg to differ. At the five hundred twenty six thousand, six hundred eightieth meeting of The Watchers, the Kalka project was given complete authority to solve hunger problems throughout Fabulae as it saw fit."
Van tried to smile. "Of course. You'll forgive me Romulus, I'm old and I forget things easily."
"Well, I'm glad I could clear that up," Romulus answered, standing to leave.
"Just a second, Romulus. There are other things I wish to discuss with you." Romulus sat back down. "Thank you. You are aware that the next presidential election is only a month and a half away?" Romulus nodded. "Lately, I've been setting myself up as a supporter of the Kalka project. Such a controversial move on your part would not do well with me."
Romulus regarded Van with momentary amusement. "What do you think about it?"
"Pardon?"
"Do you think it's wrong to give food to Marram?"
"Whether it's right or wrong isn't the question. The point is it's controversial, and it could cost me my re-election."
"Well the fact is Van, I don't care one bit about you getting re elected, but I do care about what's right."
"Let's be reasonable, Romulus. If you compromise on this, I would be more than willing to grant the Kalka project special favours in the future."
"You're wasting your time. I want none of your hollow promises."
"You know Romulus, I could withdraw my support for the Kalka project," Van threatened. "If your new move isn't popular, I'll call for a meeting to officially disband the Kalka project."
Romulus was still angry after the meeting. Van's threats couldn't have come at a worst time, and Romulus made little effort to curb his anger. "Van, you're a fool. You've always been a fool, and now that you're old you're an even greater fool than ever, for time is seldom kind to one who refuses to change with it. You didn't support the Kalka project at first, and then once it took off you were scrambling to get on the band wagon. Now, once again you are standing in the way of progress. When Marram catches on like Kalka did, you'll be left in the dust. You can either join me, or I'll destroy you."
Romulus stood up and started to head out the door. "Trust me boy, you don't want to make an enemy out of the president," Van called out. "I could crush you like an ant."
"Your threats scare me no more than those of a worm," Romulus answered, as he walked out the door.


For about a week afterwards, the four had no more meetings. Romulus sent ships off to Marram, figuring on about ten to Marram each day. The controversy spread all over the city, but did nothing to impede the flow of new volunteers. Although some Watchers did specifically ask not to be assigned to Marram, enthusiasm was never greater. As the public was oblivious to the internal struggles the Kalka project was facing, Romulus was placed on more of a pedestal than ever.
It was on a certain day, eight days afterwards, that Andrew came to talk to Romulus. After ringing the door bell, Andrew waited briefly for Romulus to answer.
"Hi," Andrew said timidly. "Your not still mad at me, are you Romulus?"
Romulus sighed and shook his head. "No, no not really. I don't think I ever really was, not for long anyway. I was disappointed in you, still am, but not mad. I know it was Remus that lead you astray."
"Are you still mad at Remus?"
Romulus thought for a moment. "I was at first, I was furious, but it's been about a week now, and I've had plenty of time to calm down. I imagine he's still mad at me though."
"He is. You got your way, and he didn't. It may be a long time before he completely calms down."
"We can make do without him. All he ever did was the unimportant work anyway. He had no vision, and he'd only be a thorn in my side."
"He is your greatest ally," Andrew shot back, "and you know," Andrew paused, "and I know it. If the Kalka project is to thrive it needs both of you."
Romulus shrugged, "I don't see that happening."
"That is why I have taken it upon my self to facilitate reconciliation."
"What do you mean?"
"Julius and Remus have agreed to accompany you and me, and six others, to Marram tomorrow, so they can observe the process."
Romulus lit up. He almost hugged Andrew, but regained himself. "That's brilliant!" he exclaimed. "When Remus and Julius see the kind of people we're saving, not cold heartless soldiers but ordinary people, they'll be sure to support me." Romulus took a deep breath. "Andrew, your one of the truest friends a man could ask for."


The man trembled and fell to his knees. "I swear my king, every word of it is Deka's truth."
King Palzo leaned back in his throne. "I don't know who you people are, or why you are doing this, but you would have done well to carefully consider your actions before wasting the king's time with these lies. Last week I had six people burned alive for telling this lie, and you will make lucky number seven."
The man cried out and threw himself at the kings feet, weeping for mercy. Darma, one of Palzo's chief advisors, spoke up. "Recent information, my king, has done much to support the stories of these men. It appears they might have been telling the truth after all."
Palzo nodded to Darma. "Proceed, but carefully. You yourself are not immune to my anger."
Darma nodded. "The ten separate locations have all received food inexplicably. Nearly all the residents have the same story, and several people claim to have seen these magical vehicles fly throw the sky, including many birds."
Palzo nodded. "So it appears the story is true. Magical ships which hold in them a literally unending supply of food. Do you know what we could do if we could capture one of these ships from it's owners."
Darma nodded. "The possibilities are endless."
Palzo smiled, just thinking about it. "Well, I guess there's only one logical course of action then, right?"

No comments: