Sunday, December 26, 2004

War in the City Chapter 16

IN THE FIFTH YEAR OF THE NEW ERA
Varro came through the bushes. “They’re ready, Pompey.”
Pompey, who was reclining against a tree, stood up and extended his hand to help Peter do the same. Pompey brushed himself off. “How many of them are there?” he asked.
“One hundred seventeen are gathered here,” Varro answered.
“Including the survivors of the Resistance?”
“All who survived are present.”
“And the park’s empty?”
“The section we are in is. I’ll be monitoring things to make sure it stays that way of course.”
“Could you be more specific?”
“Aside from our people, the nearest person is two miles away. The nearest member of WIN is almost seven miles away, and the nearest Marramiane is a good fifteen miles away.”
“Of course that could change in seconds with a Super-Elevator,” Peter pointed out.
“That’s why I’ll be keeping a close eye on things,” Varro responded. Turing to Pompey he added, “it might be tight, but if anything happens I think I can warn you in time.”
“Sounds like we’re all set then,” Pompey concluded. “Any last words of advice before I talk to them?”
“Well, yes now that you mention it,” Varro said. “Pompey I don’t know what you’ve got planned but we’re not ready for action yet. We aren’t anywhere near organized. I don’t even have the names of everyone present, let alone have any idea what they’re like or how dependable they are. We have no clear objective, we have no rules to hold ourselves to, we have no hierarchy of command,” Varro, who had been previously numbering each point off on his fingers now let his hands collapse to the side. “Pompey, we don’t even have a name yet.”
“The Resistance formed in a matter of hours,” Pompey countered.
“The Resistance was created under different circumstances. Now that Marram and WIN are jointly controlling the city, we can no longer attack without fear of retribution as we did during Marram’s invasion.”
“He’s right,” Peter added. “During Marram’s invasion, everyone was fighting against the invaders. Now that the city has officially surrendered, resistance to Marram is non-existent. We might have been able to blend into the crowd before, but we can’t now.”
“And if Marram finds out about us before we’re ready to counter it’s attacks…” Varro’s voice trailed off, indicating that their fate would be obvious.
“How long do you want?” Pompey asked.
“A week would be nice,” Varro answered.
“You’ve got three days,” Pompey responded. “Now go introduce me.”


It was with mixed feelings that Paper approached Azom concerning Gaius’ release. The last thing Paper wanted was for Gaius to join the ranks of those who were standing between Paper and what he had been promised by the gods, complete control of the city. First Paper had to accept Azom’s dominance over him, then Judas’. Adding Gaius to the list would only make things worse. Yet at the same time, Paper knew he had lost. Judas had outwitted him, and the only way he could hope to receive compensation for his actions was to remain loyal to the gods.
Azom regarded this revelation with some skepticism. “If Deka wantz it done, then Deka will appear before me himzelf.”
Immediately Paper contacted Nuntius. “Bring him before me,” Nuntius commanded. “If he wants to see me himself, then he shall.”
Paper realized all too well what was happening. He had just lost his position as intermediary between Nuntius and Azom. From now on, Azom would be able to get his information directly from Nuntius, and Paper would no longer be important. “Give me a sign,” Paper said to Nuntius, “That you have not forgotten what you promised me.”
“What did you have in mind?” Nuntius voice was unusually condescending.
Paper thought for a moment. “When you reveal yourself to Azom, tell him that I am your messenger. Tell him that from now on you will reveal yourself through me.”
But Nuntius was not to be deceived so easily. With Paper as his only link to the city, Paper could twist Nuntius’ messages anyway he wanted to. “How does this sound Paper: when I reveal myself to Azom, you will be present, as will Judas, Jonz, Palzo, everyone important. Everyone except Azom will be commanded to bow before you.”
A definite victory in terms of symbolism, but other than that it didn’t really help. “I liked my first idea better,” Paper replied.
“It’s not an option.”
Paper reluctantly gave in. Better not to antagonize the gods anymore than he had to.


Varro went back through the bushes to give the introduction, leaving Pompey and Peter. “You always like to make an entrance,” Peter commented.
Pompey smiled. “It keeps them in suspense, let’s them know who’s in charge.”
Peter returned the smile. “I guess it does. Do you plan to spend the whole war like this?”
The smile broadened. “It couldn’t hurt. Just think of the chaos if I was just out in the crowd. Nobody would know who’s in charge.”
Peter laughed at the idea, and Pompey joined in the laughter. As they laughed, they could hear Varro’s nearby voice making the introduction. Pompey got ready to enter. As Varro finished up, Pompey motioned to Peter, who followed him through the bushes. Pompey ascended the platform while Varro stepped off and went back into the crowd. Peter stood on the flat ground to the right of Pompey.
“Fellow Watchers, I can’t tell you how glad I am to see you,” Pompey began. “These past few days have been shocking and difficult for us all. I’m not going to stand here today and try and tell you that Marram hasn’t won. I’m not going to say that Marram hasn’t conquered the city, because it has. I am going to say to you, loudly and clearly, that we have no intention of simply rolling over and accepting Marram’s domination.”
Pompey’s voice was not artificially amplified, but he spoke in such a loud voice that everyone could hear him easily. They vigorously applauded his last statement. Once they were done, Pompey continued. “If that’s why you’re here, if you’ve come to defy Marram’s domination, then you’ve come to the right place. If you are afraid of Marram, and willing to submit to it, then you’re place is not here. Leave us. We have no room for cowards.” Pompey stopped and looked out at the crowd to see if anyone would leave. No one did. He smiled broadly. “Good. I’m pleased. You know what we’re up against as well as I do. You know it won’t be an easy win, but I hope I speak for all present when I say that everyone last one of us will be in their grave before we submit to Marram.
Some of you I’ve never seen before in my life. Some of you I know quite well. Some of you served under me in the Resistance. You know all to well how dangerous this is. We lost a lot of friends in the Resistance, the most recent of which was Ortel. Ortel’s body was thrown by Marram in a mass grave at Locom Park with all the others who died. Someday a great monument will stand in that spot; a monument to all who died in defense of the city. A monument to those who were killed by Marram even though they presented no threat to it. A monument to two school children killed by the Harpies, despite my friend Peter’s valiant efforts to save them. A monument to this whole war, and the victory that will be ours, no matter what the cost.”


At Paper’s request, Azom had ordered a small group assembled in front of the gigantic monitor in the town hall. Qual, Palzo, Darma, Azet, Roc, Judas, Jonz, and of course Paper and Azom were assembled there. Paper had the monitor show the mountains of Fera, which was becoming his usual place to meet Nuntius. “Deka, we are assembled,” Paper called out. “Reveal yourself to us.”
Nuntius appeared on the monitor. “Hello Paper.” Nuntius appeared to turn and look at Azom, but it was an action taken for effect only. Nuntius was able to see into the room through his powers, not through the monitor. “Paper tells me you don’t believe that I appeared before him and commanded the release of my servant Gaius.”
Azom bowed low to the ground. “Forgive me Deka, I wanted to take no chancez in making zure I waz fulfilling your will, and your will alone.”
“Rise up Azom, for you have proven yourself by your faithfulness. From now on, I will reveal my will to you directly. Every morning you shall turn on a monitor to this spot, and I will reveal myself to you if I have any new commands.”
“Yez Deka.”
“And now I wish to recognize my servant Paper, who has been most faithful to me and who shall be rewarded. Everyone assembled here, Azom alone excepted, must bow down to him.”
There was a moment of hesitancy. Palzo, Azet, and Darma believed themselves above Paper, as did Judas and Jonz. Roc thought he was on equal footing with Paper, and Qual didn’t want to be the first to do anything. “Do it now!” Azom shouted. Palzo, Azet, Darma, Roc and Qual all bowed immediately.
Jonz started to kneel, but Judas held out his hand to restrain him. “WIN won’t submit,” Judas whispered to him.
“You as well, Judas and Jonz,” Nuntius said patiently.
“I don’t think so, Nuntius,” Judas replied.
“You will address me by my name, Deka,” Nuntius hollered in fury.
“You don’t frighten me Nuntius. Neither you nor any of your other god friends can touch me here.”
“Azom, you will kill this blasphemer if he doesn’t obey me,” Nuntius commanded.
Azom took a step towards Judas, but Judas held out his hand. “Hold on Azom, we have an agreement. Surely Deka wouldn’t command you to break your own word, would he? If this really is Deka, then let him kill me himself. Surely he is powerful enough to strike just one mortal dead.”
Azom saw the truth in Judas’ words, and for a minute Nuntius thought all might be lost. He might lose Azom’s loyalty. “Azom, I am testing you,” Nuntius shouted out. “I am testing to see whether your loyalty is with me or with Judas. If your loyalty lies with me, you must force Judas to kneel. If it lies with Judas, I will kill you both.”
Azom looked at Judas. “You must kneel. Deka commands it.”
Judas and Jonz looked at each other, each seeing what the other would do. Then Judas, making no attempt to disguise his loathing of Paper, slowly bowed to him. Jonz followed his example. Paper beamed with pleasure.

Varro’s vigilant watch proved to be unnecessary. For the time that Pompey talked, almost twenty minutes, nothing happened to interrupt him save the applause of the crowd. When he was done, he stepped down off the platform to mingle with his approving audience. Everyone was instructed to leave their name with Varro if they wanted to be included in the fight against Marram. Pompey made an effort to try and meet everyone present.
Davree came up and talked to Peter. Kialka was not far behind.
“What did you think?” Peter asked them.
“Well obviously it isn’t going to be a piece of cake,” Davree replied, “but I think Pompey is the perfect man to lead this fight. I feel absolutely confident in him.”
Kialka agreed. “If anyone is going to win this war, it’s Pompey.”

No comments: