Monday, December 27, 2004

The Watchers Chapter 7

IN THE TENTH YEAR OF RECAB, KING OF DISHON
The ship slowly glided to the ground, at the north pole. Hans leaped out and looked around for any clues he could find. He had not been able to locate Rodens ship with his sensors, but if Rodens wanted to, he could have made his ship invisible to the sensors. Hans completed his visual scan of the area, and did not see any signs of life. His sensors had identified that there were several Icelers in the vicinity, so Hans called out. He received no response. He called out again and had the same result. Hans removed his computer from his pocket, and called up an Iceler phrase. "I'm here to help," he called out in Iceler. "I am Hans. I wish you no harm." A cry came out in response. Hans sprinted toward the cry, and after clearing a small hill, saw that it had originated from a cave, one of several. Hans dashed into the cave. "Hello! Hello!" Hans called out the greetings that were the same in Iceler language as well as his. Several figures came from inside the cave and stood several meters away from Hans. One pushed his way through the others and walked up to Hans. Hans immediately recognized him as Mora.
"Take back this gift, for I have no desire to possess a gift of friendship from one who kills my people." Mora thrust Hans scarf back into his hands.
Hans head pounded as his worst fears were being confirmed. "Your people were killed by-" Hans suddenly stopped, the words stuck in his throat. "By one of my people?"
Mora's tone softened, as did his expression. Apparently he realized that Hans wasn't quite sure what was going on. "He came in a ship, like the ones you used to transport us here, only much smaller. Fire shot out of it. It melted my people as soon as it touched them. We all scattered for shelter, as the fire continued to fall. Once we were all safe in the caves, the ship flew away, maybe to kill more Icelers."
Hans could stand no longer, and slowly sank to a sitting position, leaning against the wall of the cave. He felt nauseous, sweat gathered on his hands and forehead. His whole body seemed to burn with heat even though it was bitterly cold. His head rolled to his side, and for the first time he was able to clearly see the expressions of the other Icelers. A rather inquisitive look was on their faces, since they could not understand all of the pidgin Iceler that had exchanged between the two. Hans himself had to have the computer translating throughout the entire conversation in order to understand all of what was being said to him. Hans was still a little confused, but he understood enough. His best friend was a murderer and had betrayed The Watchers. Finally, when Hans had gathered up the strength, he asked, "how many were killed?"
"About twenty, more are wounded."
"Wounded?" Hans was surprised. The weapons on the ship were powerful enough to melt an Iceler no matter where the blast hit him. How could an Iceler only be wounded? Mora must have seen the confusion in Hans eyes, for he beckoned for him to follow. He lead Hans deeper into the cave, though still close enough to the entrance to allow light to pass through. Hans was repulsed by the deformed bodies he saw lying along the side of the cave. He realized then that if a heat blast struck next to an Iceler, the heat was powerful enough to travel through the ground and contact the Iceler. The heat would then warp the victims body, if not killing him. Hans estimated a heat blast could warp a body up to five meters away. Tears came to his eyes as Hans observed the wounded. Little children who would be crippled the rest of their lives. Young woman who looked like they were quite beautiful before heat had destroyed their bodies. Young men whose youth had been suddenly destroyed, all of these suffering side by side. The words of Mora lingered in Hans' mind, 'Once we were all safe in the caves, the ship flew away, maybe to kill more Icelers.'
"No," Hans screamed aloud. "This ends now." Without a word of explanation Hans sprinted out of the cave and ran full speed towards his ship. Mora was right on his heels. As he entered the ship, Hans turned to talk to Mora. "Will you come with me?" he asked.
"No, my people need me here. I would not be of much help to you anyway, but I can tell you he went that way." Mora pointed South.
Hans nodded his thanks. "Take back this scarf," he said, throwing it to Mora. "We are still friends."
"You keep it Hans," Mora said, throwing it back. "If you're going to stay in this weather long, you'll need it more than I do."
Hans was forced to agree with this, and was about to take off, when an idea struck him. He called out to Mora, who was already walking back to his cave, and beckoned him to come back.
Hans took a rather large firearm from his box of weapons. It was heavy, the whole thing weighed about thirty five kilograms. It was about as long as Hans' arm, and had two straps that could be tied around the arm of the user. "This," said Hans, "is a laser rifle. It isn't quite as strong as the lasers on these ships, but it can pack quite a powerful punch. If the ship comes back, this can do some damage to it if you hit it, just make sure it's not me before you fire." Mora nodded, taking the weapon gently as Hans handed it to him. "I'll see you later, I hope," Hans called out as he shut the door to his ship. The warmth of the ship felt good to him after being out in the cold environment. Hans took off, and flew in the direction that Mora had pointed him to.


"We've got another problem, sir," Bakes said. "Rodens family has been deeply concerned with his disappearance. They have, as you probably guessed, tried to review his activities of the last few days with the Teachers help. Naturally they were surprised when that information came up classified. They began talking to their friends about it, and the story spread like wildfire. I'd be surprised if there is one Watcher that doesn't know about it. They're demanding an explanation."
"Tell them that information needed to be classified for security reasons, and we have no further comment at this time. If someone else should stumble upon some more classified information, tell them the same thing." Jistap voiced his orders confidently.
"But sir, we can't do that," Bakes argued. "You know as well as I do it's against Watcher law to classify anything. We'll be arrested."
"No we won't. You understand the computers better than any of the other Watchers. You have that program ready?"
"The program is ready sir," Bakes answered.
"What program?" Pericula asked.
Jistap smiled. "Oh, that's right. I've neglected to tell you about the little project Bakes and I have been working on. As soon as Bakes engages it, all computer commands will be under my control only. I will have-" Jistap checked himself. "We will have complete rule of the city. Neither the Teacher nor the Executor will do anything unless it is my will. On top of that, I have several young men who share my ideals, about a thousand to be exact, and they have been training for this day. They are my personal army."
Pericula exchanged confused glances with the other ten sitting at the table. "You told Hans we would turn ourselves in after the Icelers were safe. What are you talking about now?"
Jistap sighed and shook his head. "My dear, Hans was a young, foolish, idealist. I expected better out of you. You know yourself how prejudice and selfish our people can be. Rodens is a perfect example, and there are plenty who would follow in his footsteps if they were given the chance. I have great things in mind for the city, but I can not accomplish any of them democratically. The people would never agree to any of it."
"Just what do you have in mind?" Pericula asked, making no attempt to hide the contempt in her voice.
"Look at us!" Jistap waved his hand around the room. "From the day we were born, we've had every thing we wanted. We've never been hungry in our lives. Anything we desire, we can have the Executor make for us. There is no disease the Executor can't cure. Yet everyday, we watch on the monitors so much suffering in the world. Lands destroyed by war, ruthless dictators who kill right and left, people dying every day of disease, and hunger. Living their worthless lives in absolute poverty." Jistap's voice had gradually grown louder as he talked, but now it jumped into a shrieking yell. "And what do we do? What do we do about the misery we see all the time in the world? We sip a cup of tea and watch it happen. Oh, I've tried to correct the problem democratically," the word democratically was uttered sourly, "I've tried to follow the book. I've proposed changes, but nobody supports me. These people wouldn't even save the Icelers, because it would risk being discovered. Rodens is out their right now killing Icelers." Jistap ended his speech, his face burning red with anger. His breathing, slightly increased because of the shouting. A silence fell over the room for a couple of minutes. Then Jistap continued, much softer then before, almost a whisper. "Tonight, that will all end. My army will put me in power. I will begin my mission. We will fly food in our ships, and distribute it to whoever needs it. We will cure all those with diseases. We will stop all wars, and depose any undeserving ruler. An era of peace and happiness will follow that Fabulae has never known before. Who's with me?" Nine hands immediately shot up. Pericula the only one who didn't join.
"Still unconvinced to join my cause, Pericula? Are you just another selfish Watcher?"
"If that was so, I wouldn't have helped you save the Icelers."
"Alright, then what keeps you from joining me?"
"What happens when you die?"
"Pardon"
"I said, what happens when you die."
Jistap thought for a moment. "Why, someone will succeed me of course."
"Who?"
Jistap was forced to think again. "I don't know. Someone I pick who will continue my cause."
"But I thought you said all of the people are selfish."
Jistap did not like being made into a fool. "Just make your point," he growled.
Pericula took a deep breath, and let it out slowly. "Sir, the point is that if you destroy democracy, you'll have absolute power. I have no doubt that you will use your power wisely, but someday you'll die, and then who can be assured that the one after you will be just. Whoever succeeds you will have absolute control of the city, and whoever has absolute control of the city can conquer Fabulae if they want to, and use the whole world as nothing more then something to serve them hand and foot."
"I assure you I'll will pick my successor carefully."
"Oh, I'm sure you will sir. And anyone you pick will probably pick a worthy successor in turn. And his successor will pick a worthy successor also. But somewhere down the line, someone who is completely undeserving of the power will be picked. History is filled with such examples."
"I'll admit there is no guarantee that some where down the line, someone will do something undeserving with the power, but the danger is just as great that the inhabitants of the city will democratically try and conquer the world to serve themselves."
"No sir, the danger is not as great because in democracy someone is always representing the opposite side. Please, use democracy to introduce your new ideas. Don't give up, just be patient"
Jistap practically exploded. "Don't tell me to be patient. You tell the starving people to be patient. Tell the soldiers to be patient. Tell the diseased to be patient. They can't wait any longer. I'm going to act now. Your either with me or against me, and you don't want to be against me."
Pericula searched the room for support. Every face she met was hostile. In a dry voice she asked, "What exactly happens to me if I don't join you?"
"Oh, you'll be exiled I suspect. Maybe killed if you actively oppose me, but I hope it doesn't come to that. If you join me, I'll offer you power beyond your wildest dreams."
"I thought you weren't after power, just justice."
Jistap shrugged. "I'll need power to perform my tasks. Besides, with all the good I'm doing for the world, I don't think a little reward for myself is out of the question."
Pericula carefully considered her options. "Count me in," she said at last. A soft round of applause was given.
"Excellent. Bakes, the program." Bakes pressed a couple of buttons on his computer.
"It's all set," he said. "You have complete control."
Jistap laughed in delight, and couldn't restrain himself from standing up and doing a small dance. "Now," he giggled, "inform my army to begin taking control. Executor, render all energy discharging weapons useless, except those used by my army. Allow no one to replicate weapons, except my army."
"As you wish, master," the Executor answered.
Jistap turned to Bakes. "I like the Executor's new attitude. You hadn't informed me of this part of the program."
Bakes nodded in reply. "I'm glad your pleased. May I go now sir?" Jistap nooded. As soon as Bakes had left the room, he exploded into uncontainable laughter.


"I've read your report on the situation with The Watchers. It seems events have taken quite an unpredictable turn."
"It caught me off guard as well sir. Do you think Jistap posses a threat to our plan?"
"At present, I don't see how we can lose. We won't have the element of surprise anymore, but we are still practically invincible. You don't think they had anything to with this?"
The other shook his head. "Unlikely. To the best of our knowledge, they don't even know about The Watchers. If they did, they would have wiped them out long ago."
"Yes, they seem to have become rather lazy lately. Well no matter, we will keep an eye on The Watcher situation. It looks like they might even help us though." Pausing to consider the ridiculousness of his own words, he chuckled for a minute. "Not that we need the help of course."
"You realize, sir, that once our mission is accomplished, we'll have to put an end to The Watchers."
"Oh of course, of course. But at this point in the game they can't do much damage. We'll be keeping an eye on them. You are dismissed."
The receiver of the orders saluted and left. "We'll be keeping an eye on them," his commander repeated.

No comments: