Monday, December 27, 2004

The New Era Chapter 22

IN THE FIRST YEAR OF THE NEW ERA
Lauto's breathing returned to normal. She ceased to squirm in pain, and her wound became healed. The medicine ball stopped humming, and Kyoko knelt down to retrieve it. "Are you feeling better," she asked quietly as she gently helped Lauto to her feet.
"Much thank you," Lauto whispered. Both were talking quietly because Livius was telling his story.
"... Once she realized you were awake, she stabbed herself to make it look like she was the innocent victim of my aggression," Livius continued. "You know the rest from there."
Hans turned to Lauto. "Is any of this true?" he asked.
"That's a lie if I ever heard one," she responded. "It's true, Bakes did send us here to kill you. I had second thoughts about it, you know how much I respect both of you. As soon as Livius was sure everyone was asleep, he demanded I give him the knife. I complied at first, but when he started walking towards Kyoko I knew I couldn't live with myself if I let him kill her. I ran to block his way. He tried to push me aside, but I wouldn't let him. He lost his patience and tried to kill me too. I fought back, but he managed to stab me in the side as you people woke up."
Hans turned to Livius, his face expecting a response. Livius saw Hans' look and gave him one. "She's lying. Don't listen to her."
Hans looked at Lauto, and then at Livius again. For a while his face went repeatedly from one to the other before he announced, "I don't know what to do."
"I think it's time we had a little conference," Pericula said, "to determine what action we should take."
Pericula, Kile, Drusus, Hans, and Kyoko all moved out of the hearing distance of Livius and Lauto. As soon as they had all grouped up, Pericula jumped into discussion. "We don't know which one of them tried to kill us," she said, "but at this point that really doesn't matter. Both of them were planning on performing the act, until one pulled out at the last minute. Therefore, under Watcher law they are both guilty of planning a murder. The sentence for that is at least half a year in jail. Since we can't trust either of them, I recommend we start them on their prison sentence now."
"You mean, keep them under guard at all times?" Hans asked.
Pericula nodded. "I know it's inconvenient, but I think it's far better then letting the killer roam free, always having to watch our backs."
"I'm not sure about this," Kyoko said. "We need to band together if we're going to survive out here. Perhaps the best thing to do is to forget what happened, try and make allies of our enemies."
"Perhaps a compromise would be in order," Hans proposed. "We forgive them, and treat them on the whole, pretty much the same, but someone is always watching them all of the time."
"I could agree to that," Pericula said.
"So could I," Kyoko added.
Kile and Drusus also agreed.
"It looks like we have reached a decision," Pericula said. "We might as well go tell those two what we decided." As the group was breaking up, Pericula took Hans aside. "Can I talk to you a minute?" she asked.
"Sure," Hans answered. "What can I do for you?"
"Hans, I know this must be hard for you, finding out that Bakes is trying to kill you."
"It does sort of ruin my day, yes."
"Be serious Hans, I can tell by your face this is disturbing. Is there anything I can do?"
"I think I'm fine, you can check with Kyoko though."
"Hans, Kyoko was never one of us."
"One of us?"
"You know, one of the team. Undoubtably this was a shock to her, but you and Bakes have been working together. He was your ally."
"He was never my ally. From the moment he took power, I didn't trust him. I never thought he'd try and kill me, but it wasn't too much of a surprise. What I'm worried about is that this is clear proof he has no intention of giving up power, and he's making no excuses for it now. I need to get back to the city and stop him."
"You think that's why he's not sending a ship? He wants to make sure your dead first?" Hans had never thought about that before, and the idea left him speechless. "Do you think that's why he's not sending a ship?" Pericula repeated.
Hans brain began clicking faster and faster. Pericula's question had sent ideas racing through his head. "Of course," he said aloud to himself. "Everything's fitting into place now." Hans ran towards Kyoko, leaving Pericula quiet confused.


Kyoko was busy explaining the decision to Livius and Lauto, when she saw heard Hans' voice. "Kyoko! Kyoko!" he yelled out excitedly. She turned to see him running over.
"Take over," she said to Kile and Drusus. As they started explaining things, she went out to meet Hans.
"What are you so excited about?" she asked.
"Kyoko, I've got it. Everything fits into place now. I know why we're here. I know why the ship crashed."
"How? Why?"
"The gods didn't want us to tell the city about them. They were behind the crash. Using their power, or the technology they stole from The Renegades I don't know which, they shot down the ship."
"Hans, I've thought about that myself, but it doesn't make any sense. If the gods wanted us dead, why didn't they just blow up the whole ship with us inside us?"
"Don't you see? They had to use our deaths to create dissent in the city. We had to be killed by another Watcher. That's why they left the medicine ball alone undamaged among our equipment."
"But the only people who needed the medicine ball were you and-" Kyoko stopped right in mid sentence. Her face showed the realization going on in her head. "Of course, Lauto was the one who tried to kill us. The gods wanted her to be healed so she could perform their will. I can't believe I didn't notice that before."
"It's alright. After all, it is the middle of the night."
Kyoko smiled at Hans. "Thanks, that makes me feel better," she said in a mocking tone. "Seriously though, why don't the gods want The Watchers to find out about them. Now that they can fight The Renegades directly, I thought The Watchers were out of the equation."
"So did I, but obviously were not. We need to get back to the city immediately, we've got to warn the other Watchers about the gods."
"Sounds good to me Hans, just how did you plan on doing that."
"I don't know, but we've got to think of some way."


"Hans, Hans wake up." Kile shook Hans back and forth rather roughly and Hans opened his eyes.
"What is it? Is it my turn for the watch already?"
"No, it's morning."
Hans looked around him. The sun was still climbing into the sky. "No it's not, go away."
Hans heard Pericula's voice. "Caletians are early risers Hans, I found that out fast."
"Well, we're not in Calet. We're in Dishon."
Kyoko's voice was the next thing Hans heard. "Come on Hans, up and at 'em."
"Oh, not you too Kyoko." Hans sat up and saw her, bright eyed and wide awake.
"You know what they say, 'when in Caletia, do as the Caletians do.'"
"I'm I the only one not up?"
"Well Livius and Lauto are still sleeping, but they had the first watch."
Hans slowly got to his feet. "You mean Kile and Drusus kept watch the rest of the night?"
"We did," Drusus replied.
"I don't believe it, aren't you tired?"
Kile laughed. "It's a good thing your a Watcher Hans, because you wouldn't make it out here. If you think this is bad, you should have been at the battle of Logeria. It was my first campaign, I was under the command of king Shallum, when-"
"Oh not this story again," Drusus complained.
"Well they've never heard it before, and you've got to admit it was pretty amazing."
Drusus turned to Hans. "I've known Kile for a very short time, and already I've heard this story twice."
"Well, I'm always in the mood for a good story," Hans said. "I wouldn't mind hearing it."
Kile had barely begun, when Pericula exclaimed, "Somebody's coming!" Everyone's head jerked in the direction of her finger. A man riding a horse was heading towards them.
Kile went and got the dagger. "I'll go wake up Livius," Hans said. "We may need his expertise."
"Good idea," Pericula replied. "I'll go out to meet them."
"I'll come with," Kyoko volunteered. The two walked out to greet the arrivals.
Pericula was forming in her mind what her greeting would be once they got into talking distance. She never had a chance, the horse started talking first.
"Please can you help us," the horse said. "He's wounded and hungry."
Taking a look at the man, Pericula could see the horses words were true. He was not moving, barely still in the sattle. His body was limp against the horses back and his hands hung loosely at his side.
Kyoko was already beginning to help the man down. Kile stood ready with the dagger, poised for action as was everyone else. "It's alright," Pericula called out. "He needs help.
Pericula helped Kyoko, and by the time the two of them had brought the man to the ground, Hans was standing ready with the medicine ball. The man was brought into the ship, away from the view of the horse so the medicine ball could be used. Kile brought over bread and water. Once the man had regained conscious, he was slowly fed the food.
Meanwhile, Drusus went over to talk to the horse.
"Greetings," he said, "I am Drusus of Calet, a valued officer of the late Miktesh."
"Greetings," the horse replied, "I am Kestos, in the service of King Recab." Kestos looked quizzically at Drusus. "Are you sure you're from Calet? You look like a Nathorite."
"I am, yet I am still from Calet. What brings you here?"
"It's a long story, I'd better let Ishod tell it once he gets better. Ishod's is the wounded human, also in the service of King Recab." Kestos took notice of the wrecked ship for the first time. "Say, what in the world is that?"
"You like it? It's a new fade in Calet, quite a simple construction actually, but it sure looks impressive."
"I'll say. You'll have to show me how it's built before I go."
Ishod walked out of the ship, much to the surprise of Kestos. "How did you heal him so fast?" he asked the others following him.
"I'm afraid I can't tell you that," Pericula answered.
Ishod went over to talk to Kestos, Lauto, who was just now arriving, went over to Pericula.
"What are you doing?" she demanded. "I thought you weren't going to use the medicine ball on the inhabitants of Dishon?"
"This may be a mistake," Pericula answered, "but I think its use is justified this time. We did this Ishod a favor, hopefully he can do us one too. Either he'll give us information, or possibly even arrange transportation back to Calet for Kile and Drusus.

No comments: