Monday, December 27, 2004

The New Era Chapter 5

IN THE FIRST YEAR OF THE NEW ERA
A sharp shrill sound aroused Gaius from his sleep. He groggily got out of bed, and ordered the lights to be put on. Soon he remembered he was not in the city, but in a tent in what used to be Miktesh's camp. Gaius groped through the dark to find his computer pad, connecting him with the rest of the city. He pressed a button, and Jistap's angry face appeared on the screen.
"Gaius, what the hell are you doing?"
Gaius yawned and scratched his head, still stupid from sleep. "I was sleeping sir. Why?"
"Gaius, almost all of your senior officers have deserted."
Gaius snapped into alertness so quickly that even Jistap was surprised. "What?"
"Drusus, Jot, Kile, and Kirtten all left the camp just a few hours ago."
"That's impossible. I gave strict orders that no one was to leave the camp without my permission."
"Gaius the guards don't answer to you. No one answers to you. Nobody cares about you. The only way you mantain control in that camp is by fear."
"So?"
"Gaius these people have no reason to follow you. Your their enemy. Really, your situation is pathetic. You've lost two thirds of your army already."
"Two thirds? That's a little high. It was only one half."
"It was only one half when you went to sleep you dolt. Your senior officers weren't the only ones who deserted to night."
"What?"
"Gaius, you must be the biggest idiot on Fabulae. Instead of peacefully announcing that you are ruler of this army, you launched an all out attack on them. More then one fourth of your army fled right then and there, and never returned. You know the arrival of the new world order will cause enough blood shed as it is, without killing more."
"I had to show these people I meant business."
"Oh shut up. You don't know how bad I wish I had never sent you out in the first place. I wish I had never listened to you. I should have kept Miktesh alive. Despite his flaws he's better then you." Gaius grew red with anger, but kept silent. "Sending you out here was the biggest mistake I've ever made, and sending Sulla was the second biggest."
"What's happening with Sulla?"
"His death is really your fault Gaius."
"His death?"
"Yes, you led him in a bloody takeover of the camp. Got the soldiers furious at him, and then you left. Then once the soldiers realized how timid he really was, they killed him."
"The bloody bastards."
"Anyway, I can see now that your obviously incompetent to handle this command. I don't know what I'll do yet but this is certain, your through as the leader of the new world order."
"You can't do that!"
Jistap leaned forward. "Damn it Gaius, don't you ever, ever forget whose in charge here. You will obey me without question."
Gaius swallowed. Only with great difficulty was he able to contain his anger. "Yes sir."
"Good. I'll contact you soon. Until then, stay put. Don't move this army anywhere. If you can, try and get on the good side of the soldiers." Jistap shut of his monitor, and Gaius pad also turned off.
Gaius screamed as loud as he could. Then he screamed again, at the same volume. He rushed out of his tent, and expected to vent his anger on the soldier he had forced to guard his door. The soldier wasn't there, however. "He's deserted" Gaius thought. "All of these blasted soldiers are deserting. It's their fault I'm in this much trouble. It's their fault I'm losing the command." Gaius pulled his laser gun from his belt, and shot in anger several times at the tents near him. He heard screams, and shouts, followed by the silence. He felt better, and went back to sleep.


After shutting off the computer, Jistap turned, still angry, to the table where other ten sat. "The idiot Gaius is going to blow this whole operation. I need to act fast before he ruins my dreams. I need options, gentlemen."
Livius spoke up. "Perhaps sir, our greatest mistake, my greatest mistake, was under estimating the power of nationalism. The people are Caletians, and they want to follow a fellow Caletian."
Lauto spoke up. She was a quiet woman, of twenty two years of age. "I think the biggest problem is that they are afraid of Gaius, and are deserting to save their lives. As long as the soldiers are paid well and kept happy, they won't care who they serve or why."
"I couldn't agree more," Jistap said. "I need to send someone out there who has some sense. Then, everything will fall into place." Jistap suddenly turned to Bakes. Bakes was not seated at the round table with the rest of them, but watching a monitor in the coroner.
"Are you keeping an eye on Gaius?" Bakes nodded. "How's he taking it?"
Bakes shook his head. "Not good. He just attacked his own tents, killing many of his own men will they were asleep."
"Why?"
Bakes shrugged. "He was mad I guess."
"The crazy bastard. I have to stop him now."
Pericula bolted up from her seat and headed toward the door. "Pericula, what are you doing?" Jistap yelled out. Pericula kept walking and didn't answer. "Executor, automatic door locks."
Even though she knew the door was locked, Pericula tried to open it anyway. She then turned to face Jistap. "What are you doing?" he repeated.
"I'm through Jistap. I'll have no part of this any longer. You've caused to much bloodshed already, and if you keep this up, you'll cause even more. Gaius is abusing his power. I warned you that power would get abused. I will not be a party to these crimes. You can exile me like Hans."
Jistap clapped his hands in glee. "You hate bloodshed, and you hate the abuse of power. You'll be the perfect person to replace Gaius."
Pericula shouted angrily, "No! I'm through! Finished! You can find someone else!"
Jistap smiled. "Let's make a deal. You replace Gaius, and I won't execute your brother Julius."
"What?"
Jistap's smile broadened. "We caught him planning to assassinate me. He was even trying to borrow a dagger from his friend to do it with. If you replace Gaius, I'll let him get away with exile. If you refuse," Jistap threw up his hands, "while his offense is punishable by death."
Pericula hung her head. "Alright, you win," she mumbled.
Jistap jumped up and down in glee. "Excellent! I'll send you in Livius out in a small ship." Jistap nodded to Livius. "Livius, I'll take your suggestion about Caletian rule into account. On the way to the camp, you'll pick up Drusus, Jot, Kile, and Kirtten, the four senior officers who deserted. When you arrive at the camp, you are to make those four directly under you, but give the appearance that you share power with them equally.
"I also want Gaius to be totally humiliated for his disobedience. He is to be placed under the authority of the four senior officers. He is not allowed to breath without their permission. I want this made absolutely clear to him." Pericula nodded. "Good, now be off."


"Well we've got enough water for another couple of days, but we could use some more food," Kirtten decided.
Kile nodded. "I suppose we should ask for food there." Kile pointed to a house, less then a quarter mile away.
Drusus agreed. "Lets go."
As they were walking toward the house, Kile had an idea. "Since were still in military uniform, they might know we're deserters," he said. "I propose we pretend we're scouts, returning from a mission. I will pose as our leader." The others agreed with this plan.
Upon arriving at the house, an old man and woman came forth to meet them before they had even reached the door. "Excuse me, good people," Kile began. "We are scouts, returning from a mission. We need food and we are wondering if you could help us."
The old woman was critical. "Your scouts did you say?"
"Yes ma'am. My name is Kile," to late Kile realized his error. Although he doubted these common people would know much about politics, his name was nevertheless not unknown among knowledgeable circles. As a precaution, he quickly added, "but I prefer to be called Kai." Kile realized how idiotic his words sounded, but he tried to pretend he talked that way all the time.
The old woman turned to her husband. She was about to speak, but then Drusus shouted, "Look out!"
All eyes followed Drusus' pointed hand into the sky. The monster that had aided Gaius had returned. "Run!" Jot yelled. All four officers took to their heels, while the old man and lady dashed into their house.
The monster flew directly above the officers, only about one meter above them. A human dropped out of it, and fell to the ground. She landed right in the middle of the fleeing four. She was dressed just like Gaius, and like him she also carried a laser gun on her belt.
She landed in a crouched position. Before she could get to her feet, Drusus kicked her in the face. She fell flat on the ground. "Run," he shouted. "I'll take care of her."
"No wait," the stranger yelled, sitting up. "I'm not like Gaius. I'm a friend." The other three kept on running. Drusus kicked her again. She fell to the ground and this time did not rise. Drusus stood ready, but she didn't give him a reason to attack. She lay still, as she said, "I'm not like Gaius. I'm a friend."
"Who are you?"
"I am one of Gaius' one people. I've come to stop him."
Drusus helped her up. "I may be crazy, but I believe you," he said.
The other three had stopped their flight, and had circled back to Drusus and Pericula. They approached apprehensively. "It's all right," Drusus called out. "She's a friend."
The monster circled back and landed by the them. The four officers started to run, but Pericula reassured them. "It's all right," she called out. "It's not a monster, only a mode of transportation." Cautiously, they came back. "Get in," Pericula said. "We have a lot to talk about."


Once the ship had taken off, Pericula began her explanation. "I'll be frank," she said. "My people posses technology that is beyond your wildest dreams. We want to use this technology to-" Pericula chose her words carefully "-to help Calet. We plan to reestablish Calet to her former glory and more. We want complete domination of Fabulae for Calet."
Drusus broke in. "Why would you want that. Wouldn't you want it for yourselves instead of Calet?"
Pericula decided it was best not to reveal everything, at least not right away. "That's our little secret. If you prove yourselves trustworthy, you'll find out in time. Now then, back to complete domination for Calet. We couldn't do anything until your civil war was over. That's why we sent two of our men to take over each army, and bring them to Caletia for reunification. Unfortunately, Gaius proved to be disobedient. He was not authorized to kill anyone-" Pericula cringed inside, knowing that was a lie, but did not show any outward indication of that "-yet I trust you know he did in fact, kill several.
"I was sent to take over from Gaius. However, my people understand that Caletians will want to follow other Caletians. That is why you four are to have the appearance of being equal in power with me. Gaius, as part of his punishment for disobeying orders, will be under your complete and total command. I trust I can count on your support."
The four officers exchanged glances at each other. Jot spoke. "Your words are good. If your people truly want to help Calet, we will give you all the support you need." The others joined in affirming Jot's statement.
Pericula smiled. "Good. Together, we can make Calet strong again."

No comments: